Helping You Create
a Life You Love
Your Personal Coach
For more than 18 years, I have advised people on how to improve their working relationships and enhance the quality of their lives. I’ve provided professional training on improving relationships, conflict management and related topics.
I am a transformative speaker, culture change engineer, executive coach, author, and community leader. I help organizations and corporations to transform their workplace cultures. My unique expertise focuses on helping clients: reassess their core value systems to align with organizational goals and vision; reduce or eliminate organizational and individual barriers affecting productivity; build essential human resource leadership skills to help the workforce become motivated, productive, and committed to achieving the organizations desired results.
I deliver numerous leadership, organizational, behavioral change services, training, and presentations across various industries. I use the SPICES Paradigm™, a process-oriented, decision-making approach to develop diverse people to become productive; assist workforce personnel to explore their respective strengths, recognize and maintain positive relationships and work-life balance; become aware of and release hindering behavior, and design a life plan that fulfills their potential. Also, I provide proprietary programs and services for people and companies through coaching, consulting, training, and speaking engagements.
I work with companies, government leaders, educators, and individuals throughout the world. I am a published author, speaker, and lecturer to various groups and have successfully developed innovative leadership and mentoring programs for more than 15 years. In 2011, I was chosen as one of the top 25 Korean-American community leaders under the age of 40 nationwide.
Let me know how I can be of service.
Seoul Food interviewKorea Daily appearance http://www.koreadaily.com/news/read.asp?art_id=3211213 Read more
How to make your UC application stand outKorea Daily, Education section, featured on the first two pages For more information, read the article: http://www.koreadaily.com/news/read.asp?art_id=1285051
Dr. Koo provides informationHow to Complete the UC Application http://www.koreadaily.com/news/read.asp?art_id=1280422 Read more
Dr. Koo shares insight into the ACT examThe curriculum reflects a lot more than the SAT. Who should take the ACT? Interviewed and shared insight about the ACT exam Read more
Dr. Koo shares about preparing for collegeInterviewed and article featured on the front page in the Education section http://www.koreadaily.com/news/read.asp?art_id=983729
Seoul Food InterviewGet rid of the pain inside to live happy Read more
Percentage of California students meeting benchmarks on college-readiness test falls slightlyhttp://www.maps4college.org/news/percentage-of-ca-students-meeting-benchmarks-on-college-readiness-test-falls-slightly/ Read more
- State Senator for the 24th Senate District commemorated MAPS for spearheading the first and only comprehensive college preparatory organization in the City of Baldwin Park to help 91% of low-income, first generation, minority students attend more than 65 different four-year institution throughout the nation and 9% attend two-year colleges. Students who completed the college preparatory program and attended four year colleges have all graduated or are in the process of graduating from college.
- Successfully developed a network of more than 70 colleges and universities, 25 restaurants and local businesses, 14 agencies, 9 schools, six entertainment industries, three government agencies, and six national and regional organizations to cultivate a college-to-work pipeline, ensuring both financial and in-kind resources directly supported programs and services. Received five in-kind buildings in four cities to reduce overhead costs; secured partnerships with corporations and restaurant industries to feed students, families, and community; and secured 17 Memorandum of Understanding agreements to provide services to other organizations and schools
- Conceived and launched a successful agency by providing more than 200 professional, leadership, and career development to adults and young adults; organizational development and cultural change for agencies, businesses, and cities; and established a network of businesses, agencies, colleges, and companies to cultivate a college to work pipeline. Over 17,000 adults and young adults served.
- Culture Change Engineer – changing behaviors
- Keynote Speaker
- Motivational/Transformational Speaker
- Leadership Coach
- Identifying company and people root issues
- CEO, Project SPICES
- CEO, MAPS 4 College
- Senior Consultant, Motivation Inspiration Consulting
- Consultant/Ambassador, ACT, Inc.
- Founding Executive Director, StandUp For Kids-Long Beach
- Professor/Adult Educator, Various Graduate/Undergraduate/Adult Schools
- Student Affairs Officer, UCSD
- Educator and Professor, multiple locations
- Certificate of Recognition, State of California Senate (Project SPICES), Feb. 18, 2015
- Certificate of Recognition, State of California Senate (MAPS 4 College), Feb. 18, 2015
- The Best Community Service Organization out of 28 cities in San Gabriel Valley, California Recreation and Parks Society District 13, 2014
- Certificate of Recognition, State of California Senate (MAPS 4 College), Jan. 23, 2014
- Certificate of Recognition, State of California Senate (MAPS 4 College), Nov 11, 2011
- Certificate of Recognition, State of California Senate (MAPS 4 College), April 28, 2011
- Certificate of Recognition, California State Assembly, April 23, 2011
- Certificate of Recognition, California State Assembly (MAPS 4 College), April 10, 2010
- Certificate of Recognition, State of California Senate (MAPS 4 College), April 10, 2010
- Emerging Scholars Workshop, 2013 Division J (Postsecondary Education)
Chapman Educational Studies Dean’s Fellowship, Chapman University, 2011-2013
- Division E (Counseling and Human Development) Pre-Conference, Graduate Student Seminar Fellow, 2012
- Division E (Counseling and Human Development) Pre-Conference, Graduate Student Seminar Fellow, 2011
- Ph.D. Graduate Fellowship, Chapman University, 2009-2013
- Joan Turner Cox Scholarship, Chapman University, 2009-2012
- Chosen as one of the top 25 Next Generation Korean American community leaders nationwide and one of the top 100 Korean American leaders under the age of 40 (The Korean Times), Dec. 2011
- Chancellor’s List for Graduate Students, 2004-2006
- Change Behavior Specialist, National Academy of Sports Medicine
- Certified Leadership Coach (Georgetown University, SPICES)
- Certificate of Specialization in Content Strategy for Professionals, Northwestern University
- Ability to administer and evaluate Level C psychological assessments
- Certified to administer and evaluate Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), Strong Interest Inventory and Kuder Assessments
- Certified College Planning Specialist
- Certified Personal Trainer – National Academy of Sports Medicine; Aerobics and Fitness Association of America
- Fitness Nutrition Specialist and Weight Loss Specialist – National Academy of Sports Medicine
- Certified Group Fitness Instructor – Aerobics and Fitness Association of America
- Basic Life Support (CPR/AED) Certification
- Cerritos Community College District, Teaching Assistant Program
- Additional Certificate and Curriculum Training Programs—Domestic violence/child maltreatment (House of Ruth), FDIC Money Smart: Financial Education Program, 24/7 Dad™ Fatherhood Program (part of the National Fatherhood Initiative–Promoting Responsible Fatherhood, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services), Love Notes, and more
- YTN World
- Halo Halo LA-18
- Dish Network, Chanel 668
- The Korea Times
- The Korea Daily
- Radio Seoul
- Where People Make a Difference
- Gospel Broadcasting Company
- San Gabriel Valley Tribune
- Baldwin Park Patch
- WASC Student/Faculty Research Sub-committee, Chapman University, CA, 2011- 2012
- Reviewer, Educational Review, 2012
Federal Grant Reviewer
- Reviewer, Investing in Innovation (I3) federal grant, 2012
- Asian American Government Executive Network, Conference planner and one-on-one executive coach, 2017
- American Anthropological Association, Council on Anthropology and Education, Chair for the Systemic Violence in Education, Schools, and Communities committee, 2012-2015
College Access and Readiness
- National Association of College Admission Counseling, Greater Los Angeles, College Fair Committee Member (co-chair – workshops, publicity, busing, and volunteer), 2006-present
- Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund, Evaluated scholarship applicants for funding award, 2008
- City of Long Beach, Subcommittee member for the 10 Year Plan to End Homelessness in Long Beach and participated in the education, outreach, and the continuum care and Implementation subcommittee, 2005-2006
- Mary Bethune Transitional Center, Assisted the lead teacher and other staff with any support; guided and helped students in a positive learning environment to fully transition to a public school, 2005-2006
- School Board Member Candidate and San Gabriel City Council Candidate, 1997, 2005, 2014
- Assisted Assemblymember Young Kim get seated as the first Republican Korean American in the Assembly
- Provided assistance in having Olympia Chen win as the first Asian American school board member for ABC Unified School District
- Artesia Christian Home, Provided assistance to elderly patients, 2003-2004
- Boys and Girls Club, Researcher/Volunteer at the Solana Beach Site; provided observation notes with Professor Michael Cole, creator of the Fifth Dimension, which is a program that used computer technology games to educate children to advance their cognitive, social-emotional, and physical skills, 2001-2002
- National Association of Asian American Professionals, DC Chapter, 2017-present
- Asian American Government Executives Networks, 2017-present
- Association for Talent Development, 2015-2017
- Western Association of College Admission Counseling, 2006-2011, 2014-present
- American Educational Research Association (AERA), since 2009
- American Anthropological Association (AAA), since 2012
• Former affiliations: Independent Educational Consultants Association, Higher Education Consultants Association (HECA), American Association of University Women (AAUW), National Association of College Admission Counseling, Phi Delta Kappan International, National Association for the Education of Young Children
Coaching, Education & Training
American Educational Research Association 2018Program evaluation on the community connectedness and motivation of at-risk and low-income youth. Read more
World Education Research Association 2016Cultivating community: Building relationships and sustainability towards addressing the achievement gap in a low-income Latino community Read more
American Anthropological Association 2015From oppression to agency: Operationalizing the rise of the agental subject in higher education Read more
Cultural Studies Association 2015Collaborating for public good: How three local agencies overcame obstacles to reach its Latino community http://www.culturalstudiesassociation.org/files/2015%20Conference%20Program.pdf Read more
American Educational Resesarch Association 2014Naming and un-naming a research study "participatory"
American Educational Research Association 2013An examination of how homeless youth succeed in high school despite barriers
8th Annual Summer Institute on Leadership for Educational Justice, University of RedlandsDiscussant panelist with the Superintendents at various school districts and Dr. David Berliner
American Anthropological Association 2013Closing the achievement gap: Peer to peer youth teaching model
Keynote Speaker, Human Development Speaker SeriesKoo, S. (2015, March). Stepping out of PO to fulfilling my passion in life. Speaker at Pacific Oaks College, Pasadena, CA. For more information: https://www.pacificoaks.edu/voices/inaugural-human-development-speaker-series/ Read more
Guest LecturerKoo, S. (2015, March). What do violence, racism, hate, and other negative issues have to do with you and me? Examining me by learning about the other. Guest speaker at the Pasadena City College, STACC Eng1A course, Pasadena, CA.
See Sarai in Action:
How I Work
I used to hate life. I hated my job, I hated the people I worked with, I hated existing. I hated, felt hopeless, and didn’t want to live. I was a depressed person. I felt like a depressed person, I acted like a depressed person, I felt the hopelessness of a depressed person.
And now, after Project Spices…
I don’t have the inner pain that used to be a part of me all the time…
Now, I am a person who has hope. I am able to think positively. I take on challenges I vowed I would never do. I am able to meet some of the goals I make for myself. I’m not devastated about the goals that I don’t meet; I’m still able to feel hope that I can accomplish those goals.
Recently, I had the pleasure of attending one of Dr. Sarai Koo’s training sessions and am very impressed by her candor and professionalism. I found the training both powerful and effective and I have heard nothing, but good comments from coworkers. She has the ability to get to the root of an issue and communicate in a way where everyone could understand and relate. I especially appreciated that she personalized the session and made the information relevant to both our professional and personal lives. I look forward to working with her again in the future.
“Visionary. Gifted. Anointed. Groundbreaking. Lively. Theatrical. Informative. These are just some of the words that describe the Dr. Koo experience. What she did in a matter of 8 hours was remarkable. She came in, peeled back my onion, and helped me dump out all of the stuff that was holding me back. I now have a deeper appreciation and feel much lighter than before. Dr. Koo is a human kaleidoscope. She empowers, uplifts, transforms, confronts (in a loving/direct way), breaks down and builds up. Her approach is one that is force to be reckoned with and cannot be duplicated. Dr. Koo’s love and investment in people is genuine, compassionate with a touch of tough love. What I appreciate most about her is that she does not give credit and boast about her schooling. She shows up, delivers and let her anointing and gift speak. If you are looking to boost the productivity of your workers and enhance company results, I beseech you to contact Dr. Koo immediately.