A coach’s responsibility is to ask great questions. In a typical coaching session, there is a a beginning, middle, and end. In this post, I’ll share with you the top five coaching questions a coach should ask you in the beginning.
Coaching questions asked in the beginning are essential. The coach asks you questions in order to set the foundation for your entire coaching session. You need a roadmap to help you navigate your coaching session from beginning to end. Without a clear coaching roadmap, you might as well just chat about your issues with your friends or co-worker.
Coaching sessions are purposeful. In order to make sure you are navigating in your goal, these five questions will be of great service to you.
In the beginning, you may be asked what you would like to focus on. Yes, this is YOUR time. In order to be of service to you, you may be asked what today’s goal would look like and why this topic is meaningful to you. In order to achieve today’s goal, you may be asked what you would need to overcome or resolve in order to meet today’s goal.
Top 5 Questions to Ask in the Beginning
- What do you want to accomplish in today’s session? (e.g. concern, idea, thought, etc.)
- What’s meaningful for you about today’s topic?
- What is your goal for your session?
- What do you need to resolve in order to achieve your goal for today’s session?
- What do you want to start with given what you shared? (Where do you want to begin?)
What thoughts do you have? Please share with me.